Jawitz Properties, Pinelands
Pinelands is a green, peaceful town set amidst Cape Town’s southern suburbs. It’s just off the N2 highway and close to both Mowbray and Rondebosch. Pinelands properties include gracious family homes on large plots, as well as a selection of apartments, townhouses and retirement homes.
The park-like suburb of Pinelands was originally a pine plantation, and still features large numbers of pines. It’s known for its beautiful gardens and historic homes, including several houses with thatched roofs. The oldest standing house in Pinelands dates back to 1922. The house and the street on which it’s located - called The Mead - have been declared a national monument.
Another attraction for Pinelands property owners is the layout of the suburb. Pinelands has avoided the block-like design of many more recently established towns. Instead it benefitted from professional town planning, informed specifically by the ideas of Sir Ebenezer Howard - whose works led to the garden city movement in the early 1900s.
Howard’s vision was of self-contained urban communities, living in spaces with a concentric design and that contain a careful mix of residences, green open space, agriculture and industry. Pinelands certainly comes close to embodying this utopian vision of a garden city. With its open green spaces and the organic planning of its roads, its nevertheless just minutes from Cape Town’s commercial and business hubs.
Attractions for Pinelands property owners include
- a range of excellent public and private schools
- excellent medical facilities, with Pinelands being home to the well-known Vincent Pallotti Hospital and just next door to the Red Cross Children’s Hospital
- two shopping malls - Howard Center (named after Sir Ebenezer Howard) and Central Square
- good access to public transport, with two railway stations - Pinelands station and, to the north, Mutual station
- the nearby Mowbray Golf Club, which has hosted several SA Opens and boasts beautiful views of Lion’s Head
- Pinelands properties are also just a short drive from both central Cape Town and the V & A Waterfront.
Find out more about purchasing Pinelands property by contacting Jawitz Properties today!